Our "Now and Again" Thrift Shop, located on The Plaza in downtown Orange, is the major continuous fundraising activity of the chapter. It has been in operation since 1948 and is staffed solely by volunteer members of Assistance League of Orange on a year-round schedule. The Thrift Shop is a thriving business and its income contributes greatly to the annual operating budget.
The first shop was housed, rent-free, through the generosity of J. D. Spennetta, at 321 West Chapman Avenue. In 1961, with the aid of a grant from the James Irvine Foundation, the chapter purchased the building at 20 Plaza Square to house the Thrift Shop. This building, the former Orange Building and Loan, was constructed in 1922 and is within the "Old Towne Orange National Register Historic District."
Donations of gently used clothing, shoes, accessories, jewelry, linens, books, collectibles and small household items can be made during shop hours, and are always welcome. Donations are tax deductible; receipts are available upon request.